Cloudy With a Chance of Gratitude

Today I am grateful for the relationships I have in my life and how they continue to teach and stretch me. I am also grateful for the beauty of the early morning sun coming through the trees.

Forgive me for using the overused "Cloudy with a chance of . . . "  I couldn't resist. I was at work the other day and my office is in the old fallout shelter. It's a nice space with plenty of artificial light, but no natural light (aside from what I try to carry with me). As I left for the day and headed outside, I first appreciated the cooler, drier air. Then I appreciated the high clouds and partial sunshine that usually mean some nice weather. It was then that I thought of cloudy with a chance of gratitude.

Clouds have many literal and figurative interpretations. They literally can warn us of dangerous weather or simply that it might be wise to bring along a jacket or an umbrella. They literally can create beauty and patterns with the help of sunlight and changing daylight that make you want to lay down and be mesmerized by what you see. They can move slow or fast. I have appreciated the times I have seen clouds from the top side as I rode in an airplane. Clouds are creative forces in a variety of ways.

I probably spend more time pondering the figurative clouds of life than I do pausing to ponder the real ones. I will work for parity on this issue. In the meantime, clouds come and go from everyone's life. Some are stormy, some bring a cool shade. Some come up quickly, others meander across our sky. If I am staying present in this day and keeping a grateful perspective on things, I handle the clouds in better fashion. Whether a dark cloud that needs acceptance and perseverance, or a pleasant cloud that just needs my awareness.

Regardless of the type of clouds in my life, gratitude is always possible.

Comments