Paved Roads and Washing Machines

Today I am grateful for my husband Darcy. I am also grateful for our dog Oliver, a frequent source of smiles for us all.

The quote in my gratitude journal today is:

"Can you see the holiness in those things you take for granted--a paved road or a washing machine? If you concentrate on finding what is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul."
(Rabbi Harold Kushner) 

Right on Rabbi Kushner! Kushner is a well-known rabbi and author, with books such as When Bad Things Happen to Good People and Living a Life that Matters. I have come across many of his quotes over the years and truly appreciate his wisdom. I did a little research on him, and like many of my favorite writers some of that wisdom is born of pain. His son Aaron died at age 14 of the rare disease progeria, which causes rapid aging. Clearly, Kushner has also lived a life of service to others and that has inspired his writing as well. I have yet to read one of his books, but I am going to the library soon to see what they have. My reading wish list always gets longer, but that's okay.

The quote above truly captures the significance of gratitude practice in my life. When I am paying attention to all the gifts around me, gratitude flows and my soul is indeed nurtured. I don't need any convincing on this. If you do, I would encourage you to take out pen and paper, or your favorite electronic device, and start a list of 10 things you are grateful for. What would you add to paved roads and washing machines? See where it takes you. Feel how your soul reacts. 

And in closing, a couple of other quotes from Rabbi Kushner:

"I'm not perfect,  . . . but I'm enough."

"There is no right way to do a wrong thing." 

Comments