Multiplication Tables

Today I am grateful for the tables I have sat at and do sit at that bring good memories and intentions to my days. I also appreciate the "table of life" that is before us each day; a buffet of experiences, awarenesses, and connections.

Here's a practice I do from time to time: 3 x 3 > 9

Today I am grateful for: 

1. The table in our dining room. 
      a. the many meals we have shared there as a family 
      b. comfortable, straight-backed chairs to sit at while I work or write
      c. the dark granite, shine, and easy-to-clean surface

2. Meeting tables we use at work.
     a. the laughter and smiles that often accompany even the tedious tasks and agenda items
     b. the colleagues I meet with and their insights, experience, and curiosity
     c. chairs on wheels at some of these tables, adding a little movement and fun

3. The table my family ate at when we were growing up.
     a. the benches we filled with hungry bodies each meal
     b. plenty of food for us all, prepared lovingly 
     c. the card games and other games we played at this table 

3 x 3 is indeed greater than 9. It's twelve by my count. Try this one yourself with whatever object, person, experience, or random list you wish to create.

There are things our world could use more. When I start with gratefulness, it tends to flow into more calm presence, better listening, less negativity, more kindness. Even if it's small amounts, isn't that beneficial to me and those around me? I would rather add more fresh water to life's stream than throw in mud and garbage. 

Comments