Steeped in Gratefulness

Word for the Day 

The more we are steeped in gratefulness, 
the more it absorbs us until we start to radiate it from within.
Tim Roberts 

Steeped: surrounded or filled with a quality or influence. Gratefulness: acknowledgment of having received something good from another. That is how Oxford and Merriam-Webster define these words. I would rather be steeped in peace and gratefulness than stress and discontent. I would rather be steeped in awe than cynicism.  

It's not a constant though. Each day tends to have ups and downs. My emotions and thoughts will sometimes soothe me and sometimes agitate me. Either way, they are to be honored and heard. 

Don't let Merriam-Webster's definition of "something good from another" limit you. I don't believe that is referring only to other people. For me, another can be Higher Power or Mother Nature in an all-encompassing sense. It can also mean our dog Oliver or the tall grass swaying in the breeze or the faucet that brought me clean water.

Living gratefully is an ongoing mindset and practice. I absorb more generous energy when my focus is on what is going well versus what is not. I have more good will toward my fellow humans when I am feeling more blessed in my own life.  

Radiating this appreciation from within can still feel like new territory to me on some days. But it is territory I fully intend to keep exploring. It beats the barren wasteland of unworthiness and self-pity.

Today, I will be aware of the energy I am radiating. I will seek a grateful heart. 

Comments