Unaccepted Self

“For it is the unaccepted self that stands in my way—and will continue to do so as long as it is not accepted,” wrote the Christian monk, Thomas Merton.

I did a quick search and it told me the word acceptance is mentioned in over 200 of my posts here on "Habitual Gratitude."  No surprise. It's crucial to daily focus and calm, as well as to my emotional sobriety. 

That same search tells me this is the first post that uses the word unaccepted. It's just the way I chose to phrase it. Acceptance always recommended, but it helps to know what is unaccepted, what gets in my way, clouds my judgment, skews my response.  

Thank you Thomas Merton, for your wisdom. And thank you mirror for telling me where the unaccepted can be found . . . within. I am no longer my own worst enemy (not as harshly anyway) and I am learning that comfort is healthier when I create my own instead of looking elsewhere for it. 

Many years of acceptance, and lack thereof, showed me my unaccepted self and we are now on much better terms. 

On a lighter note, here is one of the many posts mentioning acceptance that you will find on my blog. Are You Kidding Me? (a.k.a. Acceptance) is from April 23, 2013. It had snowed the night before.


After many warm and humid days this summer, and the first couple of the school year also feeling rather oppressive, I found this picture refreshing. Just like true acceptance. 


Comments