A Couple of Ironies

Today I am grateful for time with both of our grandsons in recent days and for safe travels, new experiences, nice weather, and spontaneity that yielded fun results. 

My husband Darcy and I enjoyed our time in Door County, Wisconsin to celebrate our 23rd wedding anniversary. 

We also enjoyed time with our grandson Aaron that included time at a historical park with his inquisitive knack for asking lots of questions, water fun in the backyard, and the simple joy of reading him a bedtime story. And of course a couple of stops at Lambeau Field. 

Recently, our other grandson Leo and I were playing a game of Yahtzee. He is learning to keep his own score and write it down. I was doing some adding in my head and he said “You are good at thinking.” I smiled and thanked him. I have always had a knack for basic math calculations. 

I smiled further and thought to myself: "If you only knew how good (and terrible) I can be at thinking. If you only knew!" We finished our game, but the irony of the comment stuck with me. With regular meditation practice, other concerted efforts, patience, and more; I can honestly say I am thinking better these days. And less.

The second irony comes from Mother Nature herself. We saw plenty of waterfront beauty on our travels, including this sunset Friday night:


It prompted this poem in my head--the head that thinks better these days:

Irony

smoke from a 
distant fire 
destruction there 
beautiful sunset here

Lisa Valentine

Life is full of ironies. These two were worth noting. 




Comments