Sidewalk Cracks

Today I am grateful for comfortable shorts, our dog Oliver, and the humidity that soothes my winter skin. It's helpful to find gratitude in humidity, taking the edge off of the discomfort it also brings me. 

Here is a recent "Word for the Day" at www.gratefulness.org:

Gratitude is the confidence in life itself. In it, we feel how the same force 
that pushes grass through cracks in the sidewalk invigorates our own life.
(Jack Kornfield) 

It is a nice turn to think of sidewalk cracks as an amazing act of nature, rather than something that might trip me up. Maybe I should consider myself in this same way more often. I am amazing and beautiful in this body, aging flaws and scars and all. Breathing, walking, digesting, stretching and so much more.

Unreasonable expectations and unwarranted resentments are what trip me up.  It is my mind that puts up obstacles and spins tales of woe and self-pity. Living gratefully helps me better see where I am and where I am going. That kind of vision spots the cracks in the sidewalks before I am flat on my face. 

Onward! 

Comments