Enduring and Endearing Educators

Today I am grateful for celebrations and new places to see. Yesterday brought both.

My friend and colleague Judy was one of several educators to receive awards at the 2021 WEM Foundation Outstanding Educator Awards event yesterday. I was fortunate to be in attendance to see her and the others receive their awards, and to also listen to their heartfelt words. 

Judy received the "Ethics in Education Award" which is described as "recognizing exemplary educators who embody ethical behavior and promote ethical development for students through classroom or school activities, policies or curriculum." Working with Judy for 21 years now, I know she is a most deserving recipient. 

Her content area is Social Studies, and she brings a wealth of personal inspiration and professional experience and expertise to her classroom each day. More importantly, she brings her big heart, love for her students and learning, and a sense of humor. 

One of the guests joining us yesterday was Joy, the young woman who nominated Judy. A former student soon to start her own career as a Social Studies teacher. Her words to describe Judy say it better than I ever could: "She pushed us to think critically in her classes. It was a balance of joy and learning. However, the biggest lesson I learned from her was how to be an empathetic citizen of the world." 

Beautiful words for an amazing educator. As I listened to each recipient share yesterday, I was renewed and invigorated. It has been a most challenging school year in ways none of us could have anticipated until March of 2020. There was laughter. There were tears. 

Enduring and endearing educators make such a difference. It is a privilege I get to walk into my school each day and encounter numerous such teachers. Judy and I have had many, many talks over the years. We can be cynical and tired one minute, amazed by youth the next. We laugh often and we lift each other up. Congratulations Judy and thank you! 


Comments