The Comfort of Experience

Today I am grateful for the beautiful moon in the morning sky and my job and dedicated colleagues.

Last evening was our annual Back to School Night. Parents come for meetings and to go through their child's schedule and meet teachers. It is a nice evening; a good way to welcome new families ad welcome back returning families.

It is one of the many times I appreciate my 18 years of experience at this school. From as basic as I know where pretty much every room is so I can help others find it, to having confidence to speak frankly to parents in my role as their son or daughter's counselor.

I know who to ask for help on most questions, and where to find what is needed. Yet, appreciate that each year is new, people leave and arrive, and there's always more to learn.

Exchanging pleasantries with parents I have seen for years as their various children have moved through, and meeting brand new parents who are just learning about our wonderful school, are highlights of last evening.

Thanks to my years of experience, I can point to trends, patterns, and typical behaviors for middle school children. These are ever-evolving, but I have perspective and a reference point. Both are very helpful when days get hectic and situations flare-up.

I have spoken in front of groups enough that I don't really get nervous, and I almost relish the opportunity to share on topics that matter.

The comfort of job experience is fully appreciated by me today.

Comments