Off to a Good Start

Today I am grateful for spiritual connections and conversations, and for a head massage from my husband Darcy.

I am also grateful for my sense of hearing and for two songs that helped me get the marathon off to a good start on Sunday. As hundreds of runners funneled through corrals and crossed the starting line, Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" was blasting out of large speakers. Some Journey for the journey ahead.

There is something pretty special about the energy at the start of a race. We were running right into the sun as it came up as well. I felt pulled along by the collective energy, drawn to the light of the sun and also struck by the brightness of it.

It was most fitting that right around mile 2, as we passed a church, a number of the congregation were at the curb, songbooks in hand, singing "How Great Thou Art" as we ran by. I had just been thinking about that hymn a few days earlier and had listened to it on YouTube.

It is one of my favorites, and I always find it so moving to hear. "When I in awesome wonder . . . " is what living gratefully in the moment can bring me to. Awesome wonder at the amazing grace of a Great Spirit and the world around us.

A rock song from my growing up years and a hymn with roots in a poem written in the 1880's helped me get the marathon off to a good start.

Practicing gratitude helps me get my day off to a good start. Writing in my gratitude journal and then sitting down to compose a blog post help me focus the right energy on the day ahead. They make all the difference in my perception of self and surrounding world. It takes effort and time, but is a labor of love that nourishes my heart and soul.

What helps you get your day off to a good start? How does gratitude factor in?


Comments