29 Years Young

Today I am grateful for safe travels over the weekend and the gift of time with family I don't get to see very often. It was meaningful and special time together.

More on my travels and that family time coming soon. Today is a day to celebrate recovery. It is the anniversary of the day my own recovery from alcoholism began in 1989. A day of deep gratitude and thoughtful reflection. It is a day that may never have come if not for friends, family, recovery connections, and the grace and guidance of a loving Great Spirit.

My sincere thank you to all who make my daily recovery a road I want to keep traveling.

I am thinking about 29 years young today. If I hadn't gotten sober, I wouldn't be feeling 53, but much older probably, if I was even still alive. The healthy body, mind, and spirit I have most days would have been further shattered over the years.

I would be an empty, unhealthy shell. Instead, I am continuing to grow and learn, to recover and construct a better life than I could have ever hoped for when I was drinking and slowly dying inside.

It is said an alcoholic stops maturing emotionally when they start drinking. I was already lagging behind in emotional maturity before I picked up a drink at 14 and was captivated by the temporary relief and release of inhibitions. I guess that makes my emotional age 43, if you add 14 and 29.

I know that I am much healthier in all realms of wellness because of the recovery lessons I have learned and because of the daily habits I adhere to in hopes of keeping a subtle and patient disease in a state of remission.  I have many teachers, human and other.

Alcoholism is a disease of perception. As an active alcoholic, I perceived myself and the world in ways that begged for me to keep drinking. Alcohol and oblivion were my escape from tortured thoughts and self-hatred.

The grace of a Great Spirit and the people and circumstances put in my life that led me to recovery are tremendous gifts. Today is a day to acknowledge them, and to practice genuine humility and gratitude. Today is the true gift, these hours ahead. Pause and relish them.

Comments