News Feed

Today I am grateful for the food we have available and those who help bring it to us. I am also grateful that I have choices as I move through my day.

One of my choices is how much news I will tune into. This is one area where my choices have shifted in recent years. A former social studies teacher, I always prided myself on having some handle on the important news of the day or week. It has become more difficult, however, to partake of what now is a news feed like none we have had before.

"News feed" itself is a newer phrase, referring to continuous transmission of data. We can subscribe to many news feeds from many sources.  They can be interesting, disheartening, informative, downright discouraging. They can be all of these and more. And they also tend to be time suckers.

I want factual and basic news, but that is harder and harder to come by. I must pick my news feeds carefully. American culture and society, along with other parts of the world, has become a different kind of news and reporting environment and I can only take it in small doses.

More importantly, what is my personal news feed? What is the continuous transmission of data going on between my ears, behind my eyes?

That is the data feed that matters most, and that is the one that is fed properly by living gratefully. This personal news feed need not, should not, be a continuous stream of input. Output, sharing gratitude, pausing and paying attention to the present; these help temper the input and keep it in a healthier perspective.

My current news feed is one of gratefulness for the opportunities ahead, for my mobility, for air to breathe. What is your personal news feed going to be today?


Comments