Living in the Now

Today I am grateful for being able to sleep with our windows open last night and for a gentle breeze this morning. I am also grateful that I have right here, right now to begin a new day.

Living in the now. My goal. My challenge. Isn't it for all of us? It is often the topic of my writing and one of the things my recovery friends and I discuss regularly. We don't have the corner on it for sure. The culture and society we live in today seems to make it more difficult for us all to stay present.

There is so much coming at us in so many ways. It is easy to get caught up in time-suckers like our various technological gadgets or social media. We can easily get pulled into comparing and judging, or into fears, worries, anxieties. Marketing and advertising make the latest "must have" item or "must do" adventure seem so appealing.

Those are traps I try to avoid. It comes down to choices and actions. I would rather take an early morning run and breathe in fresh air, breathe in the simplicity of one stride at a time. Or read a few pages of the hardcover book I am holding in my hands, savor a bite of breakfast, take a few minutes to compose this post.

I seek balance and mindful presence. I fall short often, but I achieve them more than I used to. Practice makes progress possible.

In yesterday's post I talked about good recovery energy and how it helps me feel more fully and think less harshly. Feel more fully. Think less harshly. Those are more likely to happen when I am simply paying attention in the here and now. When I am not full of regret for the past or fear of the future.

Today I am going to focus on feeling more fully and thinking less harshly. Both are better accomplished while living in the now.

Comments