Skol Vikings!

Today I am grateful for the courageous efforts and sacrifices made by Martin Luther King, Jr. and so many others in the move to bring racial equality to this country. I am also grateful for the values our parents instilled in my siblings and I when it came to the worth and dignity of all living things.

Besides honoring Martin Luther King, Jr. today, many of us are also honoring the Minnesota Vikings after their amazing playoff win yesterday, literally as time ran out at the end of the game. It was great to have the opportunity to get to the game with Darcy. It was the first playoff game at U.S. Bank Stadium and it was historical.

We aren't the most die-hard fans, but we are Vikings fans and we are proud of our local team, relishing being in the stadium for the crazy finish, and hoping for a first-ever home team playing in the Super Bowl.

Image result for images for Minnesota Vikings


I have always enjoyed watching pro football. Sunday afternoons and I go way back to players like Franco Harris, Terry Bradshaw, Walter Payton and Kenny Stabler and teams like the Chicago Bears, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Oakland Raiders. Back in my drinking days, it wasn’t unusual for me to sleep off my hangovers from Saturday night on Sunday afternoons, usually somewhere between the second half of the first game of the afternoon and the second half of the second game.

Growing up in Iowa, home of no pro teams, I had opted for the Bears more than the Vikings. But I liked Fran Tarkenton, Ahmad Rashad and the Purple People Eaters. When we moved to Minnesota in 2000, I became a real Vikings fan. Some years, that has been a challenging endeavor. Our playoff luck hasn't been the best lately, and our Super Bowl record is 0-4.

This is especially sweet for this team this year and all who follow them. The season has played out in unlikely ways and last night's ending has made believers out of even more skeptics.

My throat is sore from yelling, and I have a low-grade headache from all the noise, but Darcy and I also have a great feeling of being part of something special. Part of history in the making.

Skol Vikings! Philadelphia awaits.

Comments

  1. Hi Lisa,
    That was quite the game, wasn't it? And you were there! How fun. I can only imagine the noise volume that must have erupted in that stadium when they won in those final seconds. Those Vikings sure know how to keep us on an emotional roller coaster. I could hardly stand to watch during the fourth quarter. I had to get on my treadmill to help with the nervousness. Guess we'll see what happens next, right? Fun post to read. Thank you. And Happy New Year, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment