More Hope than Fear

Today I am grateful that Darcy is feeling better and for good medical care and insurance. I am also grateful that Sam passed his road test and is now a licensed driver, and that I have faith in him and for him.

Living gratefully gives me the gift of clarifying and deepening my emotions. All of them. The pleasant and the painful. Honestly, I believe you can only fully embrace the pleasant if you have also allowed the painful to be felt.

Our emotions are a key way humans stand out compared to other animals and living things. We have such a range and variety. Some days and weeks the range and depth are not wide.

At other times though, just a few hours or days can bring wide swings. These last few days have been just that for me.

The fullest range has played out over the last couple of days. In a nutshell, the positive was Sam's 16th birthday, celebrating the person he is and the love I have for him, him becoming a licensed driver and taking his first solo trip last evening, to his school and back.

The more difficult was the concern and worry for my husband Darcy. In a different nutshell, he has been fighting a virus, it took a turn for the worse, a trip to our clinic led to a trip to the ER for further testing. That led to an overnight stay in the hospital for monitoring. Thankfully, he is on the upswing and required no further testing.

Now, that was a range of emotions. And I think I will be processing both sets for some time.

In the wider circle of our lives, my niece and her husband welcomed their son into the world Monday. My 58-year-old cousin died last Friday, the third cousin in his/her fifties to pass away in the last 15 months. Our brother-in-law's mom passed away this week too, at the age of 81.

And when I made a stop at my favorite consignment store last Saturday, I learned the news that the store is closing at the end of the month. Life's ups and downs. Life's gains and losses.

Living gratefully, I am less likely to get pulled into the muck and mire of sad times, less likely to take the good times for granted.

I pause in gratitude, for this moment, that Darcy is okay, that there is more hope than fear in my worldview.


Comments

  1. A wise piece. Difficult too and sending you positive energy and prayers. May Darcy have a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment