Raining Down Positive or Negative?

Today I am grateful for a nice evening out with Darcy last evening and healthy conversation. I am also grateful that the sun appeared before the end of the day, after a couple of cloudy, dreary, and wet days.

Rain came down over the last several miles of last Sunday's marathon. It rained down as I drove to and from work, and tried to get Oliver out for walks without getting us both too wet. It came down during the Homecoming football game Friday night and for the second half of Sam's JV game yesterday.

There were wet clothes, shoes, muddy football attire, and an attitude of my own at times that was soaked with frustration, exhaustion, and growing resentments about certain circumstances and certain people. One of those people is always me.

And then the sun came out later in the day yesterday. I got some rest. Darcy and I had a nice evening out, including a pleasant walk along the river. Slowly, I regained perspective on my job and on some other things going on in my life.

Then, I came across this quote yesterday:

"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." 
(Peace Pilgrim)

I have seen it before, and I wrote this post about it in January of 2016.  

I am human and my humanness will continue to show itself, in both beautiful and ugly ways. If I have negative thoughts, gratitude, goodness, and God are crowded out. Fear, ego, and selfishness crop up. My view becomes small and bleak.

If I can focus, at least some, on today's gifts, on the simple joy of this present moment, the clouds lift in my brain and the sun comes out to brighten my view. 

Comments