The Greatest Surprise

Today I am grateful for so many family members and friends who have nurtured little old me in so many ways over the years.

A recent "Word for the Day" at www.gratefulness.org was from one of my favorite writers on the topic of gratitude-Brother David Steindl-Rast. Here it is:

"The greatest surprise is that there is anything at all--that we are here." 

It seemed like a fitting quote to use on a day like Thanksgiving. Or on any day really. Being present in a body that we didn't create ourselves, though we have something to do with the maintenance of our earthly vehicle. An amazing body that has hundreds and thousands of working parts we were given just because we were born human.

To awaken, open my eyes and see. To command my legs to move over to the side of the bed and help get me up and they do. These are incredible feats of engineering and design. Shouldn't that surprise me at least some of the time?

And then there is the greatest surprise of life itself. Of all the close calls we all have had, some of which we didn't even notice. Others that may have scared us to our core.

My stepson Arthur had a close call last evening. He was involved in an accident that could have left him seriously injured or worse. He was able to get himself out of his vehicle and walk away from a totaled car. He is shook up physically and emotionally. Those of us who care about him are shook up too. Shook up about the close call. Shook up about how terrible it could have been.

I am so very grateful you get to awaken to a new day Arthur.

Life is precious. Life is fragile. Treat it as such. Today and every day. 

Comments