Sleeping In

Today I am grateful for the opportunity to sleep in and for a warm bed and my husband Darcy next to me.

I am also grateful that our son Sam enjoyed his 8th grade trip to an environmental learning center in southern Minnesota. He was gone for three days and two nights. Though a young man of few words, he had a good time and has answered all of my questions so far. Thank you to all the adults who helped make the trip possible and helped carry it out. (I know what that takes.)

I am guessing that Sam will not be the only one sleeping in this morning after that trip.

During the week, I typically will get six to seven hours of sleep a night. I can manage on that fairly well, though I know more would be better. By Friday night of a work week, I am usually wiped out. I was dozing off in the recliner by 7:30 last night. I was trying to start a blog post, but the dozing kept winning.  I went to bed and didn't get up for good until almost 6:00 a.m.

For a variety of reasons, I haven't slept straight through the night for years. One reason is all the water I drink. A more recent development is the lovely sleep disruption associated with menopause. But I can fall back to sleep, usually pretty easily.

Sleeping in until six may not sound like much to some of you, but it truly is sleeping in for me. I feel rested and that is important to my health and frame of mind.  Just like gratitude practice.

Comments