Deep Channels in a Wide River

Today I am grateful for the support and help of coworkers. I am also grateful for recovery and survivorship.

Ongoing recovery from alcoholism and continuing survivorship post-cancer diagnosis are deep and strong channels in a wide river of gratitude that flows through my heart and soul. (That is unless I block the flow with overthinking, overdoing, or oversized ego.)

Two diseases that kill people every day are part of my story. Yet, I get to keep telling my story.
Grace and humility abound when I put it in that light. 

Without sobriety and daily recovery from the powerful disease of addiction, I would probably not have survived these last decades. I was on a self-destructive path and picking up dangerous speed on the downhills.

Then a breast cancer diagnosis at age 42 shook me to the core and pretty much shattered the sense of security I had felt regarding my youth and health. Invasive but early stage, cancer took my breasts and plenty more, but left me with a good prognosis.

Twenty-six years of recovery, 7 years of survivorship, and still counting. Counting my blessings. Counting each day as an opportunity. Counting each day as a gift, because it is.

Deep and strong channels in a wide river of gratitude. Keeping the flow going one day at a time. 

Comments