Optic Issues

Living gratefully today, I appreciate city services like water and sewer, and garbage pickup too. I give thanks for electricity and indoor plumbing, which I usually just take for granted.

I also take my eyesight for granted. Sure, I have some OPTIC issues, but I have the blessing of opening my eyes each morning and seeing the world around me. I had 20/20 vision until I hit my mid-twenties and have been wearing glasses ever since.

I don't mind wearing glasses and usually like the look they give me. My correction isn't significant and contacts aren't something I care to try. I could still manage to do the important tasks in front of me without my glasses, but feel funny without them. I have progressive lenses now, with three levels for close reading, near, and distant.

Everyone in my own family has optic issues. Darcy wears glasses, Sam wears contacts, Arthur has worn both, Emily has glasses. We appreciate our vision insurance, access to quality comprehensive eye exams, and good selection for frames and contacts.

My mom has Fuch's cornea dystrophy. Though it can be treated with things like corneal transplants and eye drops, she never had treatment. Her vision is declining along with so much else. It can be blurred and foggy. Just like her memory. There is a significant genetic link, so we as her children have been told we have a 50% chance of getting it as well. Something to watch for and a good reason to keep up with regular exams.

The optic issues in my own eyes are manageable. Clear vision is a deep source of gratitude. I am using it right now to appreciate the textures and colors on the limbs of our Christmas tree, and the soft lights too.  I was using it earlier as I read an engaging book.

Clear vision of the literal type is easier for me to come by than the figurative type, but I keep doing the daily work that guides me on a path stretching ahead with possibilities, potential, and positive transformation.

What is your vision making clear to you today?  Take a moment to consider . . .

Comments