Nature

Today I am grateful for the positive ways our phones can connect us, and for the fun games that can be played with a few dice.

NATURE is the word of focus for today. The challenges that nature and the environment face because of all the world's development and advancement are daunting. There are wonderful things about that development, and there are horrible things. Pollution. Erosion. Global warming. Less water.

Less respect for and less connection to our natural world also seem to be stemming from this high level of technology and convenience that so many of us have at our fingertips. This is only my opinion, but I have witnessed it in many ways. We humans seem to have an audacity that convinces us that we will figure out these pressing environmental issues, find more renewable energy sources, be able to continue our high level of consumption (and waste).

Who is the "we" though?  Are you doing your part to reduce, reuse, recycle?  Are you doing your part to care for our fragile planet? I know there is more than I can do, but I feel good about the things I do. Taking short showers, recycling what can be recycled, and purchasing items with less (or recyclable) packaging are a few examples.

As disheartening as the damage we are doing to our earthly home is, I find it even more discouraging what is happening to our young people and their connection to nature. More and more are spending less and less time outside. They are getting less fresh air and exercise, but they are also losing out on awe, grace, humility. Nature hands these out on a daily basis, free for the taking. Or should I say free for the receiving?

There is something called "nature deficit disorder" that refers to this lack of outside time. It may not be an official diagnosis, but there's some validity to it. Too much screen time and not enough stepping out into the expansive view before us can even harm our eyesight over time. We become more nearsighted. That nearsightedness is literal as well as figurative.

Nature is a true catalyst in my life. It energizes me when I am outdoors. Plenty of peace and inspiration come to me in that time. Connections to the Universe and Great Spirit help me grow in faith and trust. Humility and gratitude flow when I step outside and welcome what is offered.

Will you join me?  Step outside, pause, be reminded of what is ours to enjoy and to protect.

Comments