Metastasis

Today I am grateful for thoughtful gifts from others and that I have people in my life to whom I can give thoughtful gifts.

I may struggle with memory at times, but there is one word burned into me that I am not likely to forget...METASTASIS. Metastasis: the spread of a disease-producing agency (such as cancer cells) from the initial or primary site of disease to another part of the body. Plural: Metastases.

I feel a special compassion for those facing the death and absence of a loved one for the first time through this holiday season. That includes my brother-in-law Clay and his daughters Whitney and Rena and their families. That includes my siblings and I. Our sister Mary Jo died in June of breast cancer that had metastasized to her bones, and lungs, and likely her brain near the end of her life.

I think especially of Mary Jo and Clay's seven grandchildren who will only have memories of their Nana this holiday. How will they honor her? My family and I honored her memory the other day as we gathered, with a few words and our own rendition of one of her favorite Christmas carols. She came up in random conversations and resided in many hearts.

Last year I wished for peace and comfort for my terminally ill sister. This year, she has that peace. It is the rest of us who miss her and struggle to understand why cancer and metastatic cancer exist, why they can't be stopped.

I am one of three other sisters of this brood that has had primary cancer. The body parts affected have either been fully or partially removed and we each live fairly healthy lives today. Fear lingers, but doesn't lead.

Because of metastasis, there is grief and sorrow for many. There is fear for some. There is peace for Mary Jo. Her pain and suffering have ended. That keeps my little worries and woes in perspective today.

Honor loved ones who have died. Honor the living and those you love. Honor today.

Honor this moment. It is the best gift.

Comments