Gravity

Today I am grateful for the feel of my fingers on the keyboard of my computer as I compose these words. I am also grateful for my ability to read and write that I learned at a young age.

There's one more ""G" word I wish to throw into the mix of the A-Z challenges and catalysts. That word is GRAVITY.  I think first about my elderly mom, as she becomes more unsteady and unstable. I have worried for years that gravity would pull her down in an unfortunate fall.

Thankfully, she uses a walker and lives in a nursing home now. The risk of a fall is always present though. I wonder if it contributes to her anxiousness?  Gravity and falls have led many elderly people into what becomes their death spiral. Mom's fragility has made me more aware of my own, as have some of the aches and pains of my aging body.

I am not as confident as I used to be, and use more caution, when the lighting is poor, the surface uneven or slippery, the stairs darkened. Caution is warranted, and comes with wisdom. Yet, it can be disheartening too, when I stop to ponder the physical capacities and sure-footedness I have always felt I have and how they are beginning their own gradual decline.

The other things that comes to mind when I consider gravity and aging are body parts that sag and droop more, lines that form and multiply, skin that pulls down. I guess one silver lining for this flat-chested BC survivor is that I won't have to contend with saggy breasts. Flat or fairly perky prosthetics are and will remain my options.

Then there's the gravity of decisions made, chances taken and not taken. The gravity of mistakes and remorse. The gravity of life itself. Taken in this moment, it feels both precious and fragile.

Comments