Wicked

Today I am grateful for the time off I had from work, but also for the job I get to return to and the people there. I am also grateful for early morning quiet.

Today's word is "wicked." "Wicked" has been referenced more in recent years as the hit Broadway musical than as a word defined in ways such as:

-evil or morally wrong
-intended to or capable of harming someone or something
-mean, vile, nasty, harsh, formidable, unpleasant, troublesome, detestable

Alcoholism is a wicked disease, definitely capable of harming someone and those around that someone. It can lead people to do wrong, to think evil and hating thoughts about oneself. Alcoholism is a disease that takes people to dark places, dark actions, and eventual death.

It is indeed formidable and harsh. Unpleasant is too nice of a term for how I felt and thought some of the time.

Recovery isn't an exact opposite of active addiction, but it's certainly on the other side of the continuum of health. Some of the opposites of wicked are words like principled, worthy, upstanding, esteemed, reputable.

I land on worthy as I wrap this post up. Active recovery, daily efforts and support from others and a Great Spirit, bring to us something we barely recognized in our using days, in the midst of this wicked illness. A feeling of worthiness.

It is a gift beyond measure. And one that we can extend to others. What opportunities will recovery give me today?

Comments