It's All Fun and Games

Today I am grateful for supportive co-workers and for the teamwork that helped my husband Darcy, our son Sam and I complete a task last evening.

I also appreciated the response that my poem for my father got yesterday after I posted it. That poem helped me process the 20th anniversary of his death. Writing always helps me move through and clarify my emotions, both positive and challenging ones. To read and see how my words touched others means so much to me.

Several family members talked about Dad's love of cards. We grew up playing cards and watching the adults play whenever they got together. What a good way to pass the time and share some laughter. The laughter and fun has always outweighed the competitive nature some may have, at least in my memory.

We played some 500 and euchre the other day, in Dad's memory. He wasn't usually too boisterous when it came to playing, but he sure enjoyed it. He loved to bid and get the blinds and take chances. He wasn't a big risk taker in other ways, but a game of 500 is a safe place to aim too high.

He also liked to play rummy and Phase 10. And in the later years we played more Yahtzee too.

Many of my nieces and nephews recall pleasant memories of Grandpa teaching them to play one game or another and having the chance to play when they visited. Mom would join in too, at least some of the time. That is quality time together. Good, clean fun and nothing too complicated.

Life is complicated enough as it is. We work hard enough as it is. Growing up, it was important for me to see the adults take a break and play some games. It was a good lesson and one I try to keep living today.

Comments