Complicated, Yet Simple

Today I am grateful for the beautiful early September weather we are being treated to, and ample time outside to enjoy it. I am also grateful for a successful long training run yesterday, our last before our next marathon.

On that long training run, as Darcy and I conversed, he used the phrase "complicated, yet simple." He was referencing me, his wife of twenty years. I don't even remember what we were talking about at that time, but I know we shared a laugh about it. The phrase stuck with me as the miles racked up.

I am indeed complicated, yet simple. So is much of life. I tend to add the complications, with my overactive thought processes. Nature, pauses, gratefulness and the like tend to help return me to the simplicity and peace.

Nature is complicated, yet simple. I am in awe of the connections and processes that bring us the beauty of all seasons, the growth and pruning that occur on a timeline directed by Mother Nature.  It is good to ponder the complex system that our natural world really is. I believe that gives us more respect for it, making us more likely to care for it, preserve it, savor it.

Long runs have some complications. Proper fuel before and during the run. Ample hydration in advance of the miles, and water sources along the route to allow for refills. Planning ahead for restroom availability. Thankfully, our community and our years of experience make it easier for us to attend to all of these details and plan accordingly.

The run itself becomes simple. Put one foot in front of the other. A stride at a time. Arms pumping. Oxygen flowing.

Nature asks that we simply pause to enjoy it and be good stewards.

Today asks that we not rush through it, but rather take it a minute or an hour at time, to pause and relish in it.

Living gratefully asks nothing more than paying attention and paying it forward.

Don't complicate things. Keep it simple.

Comments

  1. All the best as you round out your training... and like you say it is complicated yet simple... enjoy it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment