Can you hear that?

Today I am grateful for our son Sam's school and his dedicated and enthusiastic teachers we met last evening. I am also grateful that Sam is a hard-working and conscientious student.

Happy Birthday wishes to my sister Leonice and my brother Neal. They aren't twins, they just share a birthday. When you have a lot of children, coincidences like that can happen. Enjoy your day you two!

One of my regular avenues of channeling gratitude is through my five senses. Try it. Pick one and focus on what it is bringing you in this moment, or maybe what it brought you at your most recent meal or on a walk you took.

Our working senses are something we often take for granted. I know I do. My sense of hearing is one I have been focused on the last few days. Can you hear that?

Here are some of the sounds I have appreciated lately:

-Our dog Oliver eating, and the jingle of his collar as we take our walks.

-The audible stop our new dryer gives us so I can save some wrinkles.

-The quiet of early morning. Hearing silence, really listening to it, is some
of the most important sound we don't hear enough.

-The music and words of my favorite songs.

-The laughter and voices of loved ones.

-The sound of my husband's breathing next to me in bed. It has a
calming effect, unless he is snoring :-)

-The soothing sound of our outdoor fountains.

-Lawnmowers and leaf blowers, marking the warmer seasons.

I had an appointment yesterday with an audiologist. I was referred after I asked to have my hearing checked at my recent physical. I can hear pretty well overall, but have long wondered if I have something going on in my left ear.

Getting more information yesterday was a good thing. There's nothing serious going on, but we will be monitoring this and I have a couple of approaches I can take moving forward regarding my "mild hearing loss."

So much is beyond our control, yet so much can be impacted by what we do control. My attitudes and actions when I am living gratefully allow me to not only truly hear, see, and feel more, they allow me to genuinely experience the great fullness of life.

Comments