Recovery Energy

Today I am grateful for cooler, less humid air and time to enjoy it on our back patio. I am also grateful for the energy I have as I head into this day.

Energy has been on my mind, it often is these days. It is an important lesson I have learned slowly. Where do I want to put my energy? What depletes my energy? What gives me more?  It's rather obvious really, but sometimes the most obvious things are the toughest to grasp and apply.

I feel pretty good about my energy level at my age. Age is a number, but more importantly it's a frame of mind. The number doesn't dictate my energy level, my mindset does. And my mindset is heavily influenced by these factors: exercise, living gratefully, practicing mindfulness, writing, ongoing recovery from alcoholism, and spending time with people who nourish my heart and soul.

The energy I draw from recovery on a daily basis is substantial, as long as I am doing my job. A big part of that is being around others in recovery. In person is great, but when not possible other ways of communicating work as well.

It doesn't feel like work most of the time, and is truly one of the greatest joys in my life. It energizes me in so many ways, inspiring me to feel more fully and think less harshly, have a better day, make healthier choices, treat others and myself with compassion. I can quickly forget all of these things, and my recovery connections help bring me back to them.

Some recent reading has reminded me of the significance of connections in recovery. I agree wholeheartedly. Connections include those with myself and a Great Spirit, but also others who share this road of recovery, of sobriety, seeking peace. We laugh together, cry together, get real honest together. We share mutual trust and respect. We witness one another's "holy crap!" moments.

Recovery energy and experience. Thank you to the many connections who give me some of theirs and allow me to share mine.

Comments