5 x 3 for 53

Today I am grateful for being able to witness this morning's sunrise, and for the soothing sounds of our patio fountain and the morning birds.

I also am grateful to join the ranks of the 53-year-olds of the world today, including my husband Darcy who appreciates that we will be the same age again for the next nine months or so. I celebrate birthdays because I am grateful to be alive. Many of you have heard my little quips already:
     -better older than deader
          -beats the alternative
               -age is a frame of mind
                    -living life fully rather than partially dying
                        -more birthdays please!
As long as I believe these, I want to get up and get out of bed each day and pursue the opportunities presented in the present.

To honor this day, a gratitude 5 x 3. Three things I am grateful for as I mark this day, and five reasons why for each:

1. All of these years of life experience.

a. From my youth—learning to share and work hard, appreciating nature.
b. From my teens—developing the healthy habits of running and writing.
c. Coming to terms with the disease of alcoholism and embarking on recovery in my twenties.
d. Marriage and motherhood, and the beginning of marathons in my thirties. Great teachers all!
e. The challenges of cancer and career complacency (and some chaos) in my forties and the perspective each has provided as I moved into my fifties.

2. Being able to continue running, and to push myself in training this season

a. The targeted exercises I do 2-3 times a week to keep joints and core strong.
b. The 10-12 pounds I have kept off for months and those who have supported and encouraged me.
c. Hill repeats and tempo runs as part of regular training runs this summer. Challenging but worth it.
d. Looking forward to our next marathon (my 16th) in September, the Fox Cities Marathon.
e. Motivation to get up and get moving. Though it waned a little the last decade, it remains strong.

3. The lessons of midlife, some I sought, some I didn’t.

a. Menopause. I will spare you the details. If only my hormones would spare me the fun.
b. Layers of emotions that both deepen and widen with age. Some are static, some quite dynamic.
c. Letting go of those things/situations that matter less.
d. Giving more time to all that matters more.
e. Patience and the wisdom that comes with it.

Looking forward to more fully embracing my fifties. It has taken a little getting used to, but today I say ONWARD!

Comments