Dust in the Wind, Frost on Leaves

Today I am grateful for sleeping in and then being able to sit and watch daylight arrive. I am also grateful I saw a recovery friend last evening that I don't see often, affirming for both of us the importance of this idea of living gratefully.

I appreciated the way the streetlights played on the frosty leaves and grass this morning as I walked our dog Oliver. There were momentary sparkles and glints, fleeting but worth seeing.

It fit right in with the post I had already started for today, focused on these words from the Kansas song "Dust in the Wind." I heard it recently and these lines stayed behind to brew in my brain:

"Dust in the wind. All we are is dust in the wind. Now, don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky. It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy." 

Hopeless or hopeful words? They can be taken either way. Just like the moments that comprise our days. Drudgery or opportunity? Grind or grace? Fleeting or fulfilling?

I choose to see the hope and tap into the energy. I choose to live gratefully, reveling in the sense of peace that comes with feeling mindful presence. I may lose it in five minutes, but I have now.

If nothing lasts forever, I best appreciate life while it is here. That glint of frost on a lone leaf in the early morning. The flash of a smile on a loved one's face. The voice of an old friend across the miles. The first sip of this morning's coffee. A good morning kiss shared with my husband Darcy.

Dust in the wind. Frost on leaves. Letting go of expectations and accepting the here and now.

Comments