Ink

Today I am grateful for unexpectedly fast progress at work on a couple of things. I am also grateful for the chances I get to be quiet and closed-mouth each day.

The word "indelible" was in my head after writing yesterday's post and it was just a matter of time before "ink" was added. Indelible ink is often referred to as permanent ink these days. Call it what you wish. It means the same thing-ink that cannot be washed out or erased away.

And that led to thoughts of the large amount of ink I have used over the years. My first poem and my first diary were both around age twelve. I have gone through many, many pens since then. I have filled dozens of journals with everything from gratitude, life's happenings, poems, to words to my son. My first years of teaching I filled many legal pads full of notes as I worked to better learn the material myself that I would soon be teaching to my students. Computers were not around when I was growing up and they weren't in widespread use in my early years of teaching.

So pen and ink it was and pen and ink it remains. I like the action. The smooth movements of the pen leaving its mark on a page. The handwriting-albeit poor handwriting that others may find hard to read. There seems to be a connection between mind, heart, and hand and the pen finishes the job. That is evolving as I use computer and phone keyboards more, but I will always return to my roots as a writer. Ink and pen.

As I further consider these writing tools, I am grateful that I have always had them at my disposal. Granted, there were times I had to get creative and use napkins or check register pages, but I have learned to keep both pen and paper with me most of the time. There are people who have never learned how to write. People who don't have pen and paper at the ready. Today I pray for people around the world who go without these basics.

Like the ink I use is permanent, the role of writing in my life is permanent. As is the practice of gratitude. Practices and actions that define who I am, help me process emotions and figure out what to do next, remind me of my priorities, and show me my humble place in the wide world are deserving of permanent residence in my life's toolbox.

Comments