Enroute from a Funeral

Today I am grateful for my cell phone and the convenience it provides. I am also grateful for the slower-paced morning I am allowing myself.

Yesterday I was reflecting on driving TO my aunt's funeral. Today, I am considering the different feel the reflecting had on the way home FROM that funeral.

I was tired driving home, and ready to be back with my own family in my own home. I am grateful for both-family and home. My own and extended.

I was thinking about loss and grief and how everyone experiences it differently. I was thinking especially of my mom and my surviving aunt, Marie's two sisters. There had been a 4th sister, she would have been the oldest. She died at age 15 from complications stemming from rheumatic fever. My mom was 6 years old and remembers the day her sister died. Her name was Frances. I had asked Mom questions about Frances before, but I don't think I had ever asked what my mom remembered about her death. I appreciated the opportunity to talk to Mom about it on Tuesday. I appreciated what Mom remembered and shared.

Seventy-eight years later, Mom and her remaining siblings said goodbye to Marie, as they have also said goodbye to two brothers over the years. I couldn't help but think about my own seven sisters and five brothers and what our futures may hold. Just for today, I will remember them each in my thoughts and prayers.

Each day has opportunities for hellos and goodbyes. Most are not of the permament sense that comes with a funeral.

Today I will try to make the most of my opportunities for hellos and goodbyes as I move through my day.


Comments