Carcinoma of Another Kind

Today I am grateful for my hearing and my other senses that allow me to interact and communicate with others and the world around me. I am also grateful I made it to the dermatologist recently.

As I reflect on where I was at seven years ago today-awaiting the results of my breast biopsy-I am thinking about a carcinoma of a different kind. My breast biopsy showed that I had infiltrating ductal carcinoma (IDC) and ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS). A recent biopsy of an area on my right shoulder showed that I have basal cell carcinoma.

It was probably a couple years ago when this area first appeared, looking like a small patch of dry skin. As it underwent some changes, I had my doctor take a look. She wasn't overly concerned, but suggested I go to the dermatologist. I put it off for a while because I was waiting for our flex dollars for health care to kick back in after using up what we had the previous year. But I knew I wanted it looked at. I wanted the reassurance. Either it's nothing or it's something that needs to be addressed.

Basal cell carcinoma is common and usually quite treatable. It rarely spreads. I appreciated that the dermatologist, whom I had just met, was reassuring to me as well. He could see my history of previous cancer and tried to put me at ease that this was not concerning, that it could be easily removed and taken care of.

So this carcinoma of another kind hasn't thrown me for a loop like the IDC and DCIS did. But I am still grateful I got in to have it checked and I am grateful it will soon be removed. It reminds me to pay attention to this early vehicle I reside in. To take good care of it. It's the only one I get.

Comments