To My Husband

Today I am grateful for my husband Darcy, in more ways than a blogpost can capture. I am also grateful for the theater performance of "We Are Young" that Darcy, Sam and I enjoyed at my school last evening. It was outstanding, entertaining, and brought the gamut of emotions.

"We Are Young" is a variety show that highlighted the music and culture of each decade of our American history beginning with  the 1920's and ending in the 2000's. Thank you to all involved in the production! Your work and your talent are impressive and appreciated.

Today is Darcy's 49th birthday. Happy birthday dear! The show got me thinking about Darcy and I and our history together through the decades. We met in November of 1997 and married in July of 1998. I met my stepson Arthur when he was 6 and my stepdaughter Emily on her 3rd birthday. Our son Sam was born in 2002. Oliver, our cockapoo, joined our family in 2008. Darcy and I ran our first marathon, the Chicago Marathon, in 2004. We have made moves, some just living space, some bigger, in 1999, 2000, and 2005. There have been medical concerns for each of us, job pressures, job changes for Darcy, hours reduced for me. There have been graduations and a wedding with the older two children, and we have a pre-teen in the house now.

That rundown captures some important aspects of our lives. But it is our daily living together that matters the most. Darcy and I talk about pretty much everything. We share a huge commitment to running, staying fit, and eating right. He is a wonderful and committed father to all three of his children. We continue to grow in our understanding of one another, and in our love and commitment to one another.

But don't get me wrong, we have our moments. We aren't in wedded bliss 24/7. We have our frustrations with one another. We don't see eye to eye on everything. Our relationship is intense, and that can play out in a variety of emotions depending on what is going on. We forgive and forget, Darcy quicker than I do. We hear each other out, eventually. We understand that a marriage takes work and isn't always smooth sailing.

On this day I want to say I love you Darcy and I look forward to the next 365 days of our lives together, one day at a time. I look forward to this last year of our decade of the 40's and I look forward to our future by doing the daily work of being myself as well as being a partner in this endeavor. Thank you Darcy for the difference you make in my life.

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day!


Comments