Brief Encounters with Gratitude

Today I am grateful for my job and the people I come in contact with there. I am also grateful for my recovery friends and the wisdom they share with me.

This weekend brought numerous brief encounters with the real face of gratitude. Literally, some human faces, but also some non-human ones as well.

The encounters included seeing three members of "The Lake City Nine" at three different events over the weekend (Don't know "The Lake City Nine?" Read more here.) I saw Beth at my sister's surprise birthday party, Rita at my niece's bridal shower, and Tracy at a church breakfast. It was a treat to see them two weekends in a row and a dose of gratitude all over again to revisit our time together. One of the three said one of my blogposts made them cry. Another said how she had been thinking more about gratitude since we created an A-Z list together, and the other one and I agreed that it is sure nice to be comfortable and at ease with one another for a whole weekend. Not all groups of friends can say that. Doses of gratitude.

At that church breakfast, I also saw one of my favorite teachers; my third grade teacher Mrs. Becker. She has now been a long-time principal of that same school. She was the kind of teacher my fragile 8-year-old self needed and at a pivotal time in my education-in life and in school. I know I thank you pretty much every time I see you Mrs. Becker, but such gratitude is worth repeating.

The weekend itself, the surprise birthday party, and my niece's shower gave me opportunties to talk with many of my siblings, my mom, in-laws, nieces and nephews, and I got to hold a great niece and see others of her generation. I also got to talk to other family friends I don't see often. I try not to take any such conversations and time together for granted. Good to see all of you and get caught up a bit. Doses of gratitude.

There were also brief encounters with bare trees and brown grass that hold the hope of spring, a pair of swans, a sunrise, a nice view of ponds near the farm, some young lambs sitting together in a sunny spot.

Brief encounters with gratitude abound. Today I will pay attention and look for them.

Comments