Yield

Today I am grateful for a nice Valentine's Day and a head massage from Darcy. (They always put me to sleep.) I am also grateful for chocolate.

The "y" word I want to focus on today is yield. As a farmer's daughter, I often first think of yield as in crop yields; how much is produced. A good yield takes a good effort and also a big investment. My father and some of my brothers have devoted much time and work over the years to producing good yields.

But I also think of yield as in give way, give up, surrender, accept. I was just thinking about this yesterday. In my single days, I planned to keep my maiden name if I ever found a man to marry. But when I met Mr. Valentine, I yielded that plan in favor of a great name like Mrs. Valentine. I haven't regretted it at all.

Throughout my day, I work on yielding to life on life's terms. I try to accept others and myself. I try to just do the next right thing and wait for things to unfold. It is always a work in progress, but when I yield my will to a Higher's Power's plan, things seem to go better and I gain energy instead of further degrees of exhaustion.

Back to the first kind of yield I talked about. Something that always produces high yields when I work at it is gratitude practice. Consistent effort yields consistent amounts of acceptance, appreciation, and grace and keeps weeds and other pests like self-pity and impatience at bay.

What positive efforts in your life bring you positive yields?

I will be taking a blog break for a couple of days. Enjoy your day, one moment, one hour at a time.

Comments