Pizza-of the Mindful Kind

Today I am grateful for safe travels for my husband Darcy and that he is back home. I am also grateful for pizza.

I have been working hard and avoiding temptations regarding my eating. But you have to splurge from time to time. It is actually a good idea, otherwise it might become difficult to stay on the good eating path and get easier to throw in the towel and slide back into old ways. The trick is to not let one splurge lead to another, and to space the splurges out. So my son and I splurged on some pizza last night. It didn't disappoint. I didn't eat as much of it as I would have a couple weeks ago. I was satisfied and also proud of myself.

I love pizza. I always have. I don't think we had it very often in my younger days, but I recall making homemade pizza and thinking it was a real treat. Since my teen years, pizza has been one of my favorites. I like lots of different kinds, and I like the ones loaded with ingredients. I will eat most any kind and fondly (sadly?) recall many Saturday nights in my single days when I treated myself to a Tombstone pizza followed by ice cream. (Pizza and ice cream remain my top two comfort foods.)

I plan to become more mindful of how often and what kind of pizza I eat, but it will be helpful to be more mindful as I am eating it as well. Mindful eating. I talk about mindfulness in this blog, referring to being present, paying attention in the here and now. It's something I could apply more to my eating habits. The 5-day cleanse and our renewed efforts to eat well and maintain a healthier weight make this a good time to become a more mindful eater. My niece Katie talks about and encourages this, as does my cousin Sue Zbornik in her book "Find Your Happetite."  Find out more at http://www.findyourhappetite.com/. When I first read Sue's book a couple years ago, it inspired me to be a more mindful eater. That was a good start. Now I am ready to apply it on a more regular basis and make it a habit. Thanks Sue and Katie!

Mindful eating starts with eating, just eating and nothing else. It means slow down and consciously take each bite. It means consider how this food got to your table, step by step. Consider the good earth that helped provide the abundance. It means eat good food to fuel your body, not to ease pain or bring false, temporary comfort.

That's a lot to chew on for now. Have a good day! 

Comments