Communities and More Communities

Today I am grateful for my son Sam's involvement in our church youth group and for the experience he and the others in the group gained from creating and delivering their own sermon three times in the last two weeks. I am also grateful for my husband Darcy.

The theme of the sermons the youth did was "community." They spoke about a wide variety of communities and the impact that being a part of these different communities has had on their own lives. They also had multiple definitions, but I like the idea of shared attitudes and goals, of fellowship, or sharing space of one kind or another.

It got me thinking about the many communities I am a part of. Some I chose to be part of. Some were not in my plan, but they came to be anyway. (That reminds me of a joke: Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him/Her your plans.) Others are by virtue of where I live and work. Here are a few communities I am a part of:

*family (immediate and extended)
*people in recovery from alcoholism and addiction
*co-workers, in the broad sense
*other school counselors (in the office I work in and beyond)
*writers
*bloggers
*runners
*parents
*church
*cancer patients
*breast cancer support group members
*our local community
*our neighborhood
*friends
*school alums

All of these communities have shaped me in one way or another. Even the ones I wouldn't have chosen myself. Sometimes especially those. They have evolved over my life. A few may take front and center for a time, to be replaced by others at the forefront the next day or the next year.

I am grateful for the communities I am a part of and the many wonderful people I know across this variety of communities. What communities are you most grateful for today?

Comments

  1. Lisa, I am grateful for your genuine posts and the connection we have made with each other through our passion for grabbing hold of Life, living it to the fullest...and touching lives with kindness along the way. Keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria! Being genuine is my goal, so I appreciate you choosing that word. I do a better job of touching other lives when I am not too wrapped up in my own. Blogging about gratitude is one way of reaching out beyond myself. Thanks for being there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Communities are huge. Nice reminder of the many communities I belong to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to hear from you Steve! I just had a thought. Though I have never met either of you, Steve and Maria, we are members of a community--the gratitude practicing community. Let's keep growing this community. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment