Honoring Loved Ones

Today I am grateful for a good night of rest and for my eyesight. I am also grateful to honor the memory of my father.

Fifteen years ago today, at age 74, my father died suddenly. A semi-retired farmer, he had a heart attack while helping with the fall harvest. I still vividly remember getting the call from my brother at my job. And the days that followed with the wake and funeral. In ways, it is hard to believe that fifteen years have already passed. I hope Dad would be proud of me and the life I have today. I sure wish Sam could have known his Grandpa. They would have enjoyed talking with one another about farm and other stuff.

It was a shock when Dad died suddenly, but today I appreciate that he went like he did. It would have been so hard for him to continue to decline and be able to do less and less. It would have been so hard for those of us who love him to witness that too.

I try to honor my father today by living life fully, by being a kind and gentle person, like he was.I miss my dad, but I am grateful I was an adult, with several years in recovery from alcoholism, and with my life on track, before he died.

I try not to take the people in my life for granted. We don't know when someone could be taken suddenly. It is one reason I always say "I love you" to my son and husband when I leave the house.

We can honor the memory of deceased loved ones on days like this, but every day is a day to honor the loved ones who are still here with us. I need to remember that when I am tired, frustrated, or have hurt feelings for whatever reason. Gratitude application helps me look past what has me bothered, and look right into the eyes and hearts of those who mean so much to me. Thank you for being gifts in my life!

Comments