26.2 divided by 2 equals 13.1

Today I am grateful for safe travels this weekend, time spent with my stepdaughter Emily, and that she is off to a good start with school and work. I am also grateful for a good half-marathon experience.

This was supposed to have been our marathon weekend this year. But setbacks like surgery and tough training runs amidst a busy and challenging summer changed our plans. The Des Moines Marathon experience became the Des Moines half-marathon experience. Being able to visit Emily was great and we had a nice time. Since we had already paid for the marathon and you don't get refunds, we decided to run the half instead and get a good training run out of it and see some different scenery.

The conditions were ideal and Darcy and I each decided to run on our own. We sometimes start out together and see how it goes. Yesterday, we set out on our own amidst the thousands of runners that were there, with our own goals in mind. I set a goal of finishing under two hours. It had been a while since I had done that. I knew I would have to push the pace. It felt good and I really appreciated the crowd support. My favorite sign along the route: "You're running better than our government."  It was also nice to run the streets and trails of the capital city of my home state. We started and finished on the Locust Street bridge downtown and it was really a nice setting.

I was also running with my brother-in-law Roger and others with Lewy body dementia on my mind. This month is Lewy Body Dementia Awareness Month. I will be writing more about that this week. Purple is the color for this awareness campaign, so I had a purple band and bracelet that I wore. They are my profile picture now. The band says "Focus" and when I needed to push myself yesterday, I thought of Roger and his wife, my sister Danita, and others facing this extremely difficult diagnosis."Focus, push" became my little mantra. It worked because I achieved my goal, coming in at 1:55.51.I am feeling it today, but I am so grateful for my physical capabilities and the joy running brings me in so many ways.

I am sore and tired, but grateful and energized.

Comments