War Zones and MBC

Today I am grateful for words of wisdom I hear from fellow recovering alcoholics. I am also grateful for a bike ride last evening, even if it was short.

My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings. Our psyche as a nation has taken another hit, literally and figuratively. The city of Boston, the running community, the people who will now forever be connected by this senseless act of violence, are all reeling and asking questions.

I ended my post yesterday talking about finding gratitude to lead us back to hope. Did we find some? Yes. I must again applaud the rescue workers and bystanders who immediately rushed to help victims, not concerned for their own safety, only wanting to help. I am grateful for their selfless acts of courage. The many stories of family and friends who had moments or hours of terror as they waited to hear word that their loved ones were okay. Those who were near the blasts but uninjured. A spirit of patriotism and sympathy from coast to coast.

But there is that "it could be worse" perspective still hanging in my thoughts. There are people who live in war zones day in and day out. For them, explosions and innocent people dying are far too common. Can we collectively do anything about that? Join forces for peace?

Can we be grateful to live in a nation where what happened Monday still shocks us?

I often think of this "it could be worse" perspective when considering my breast cancer diagnosis. Nearly five years out from a Stage 1 diagnosis, currently with no evidence of disease (NED), I remember daily those who do have it worse. Those lives lost to cancer. Those being treated for metastatic breast cancer (MBC) and other late-stage cancers. I remember how blessed I am to have this day and this health.

Can one person's practice of gratitude have a ripple effect? Can a kindness shown to another person, stranger or not, possibly prevent an act of violence? I believe it can. I need to believe it can. It is what makes it possible to move forward after things like what happened in Boston on Monday.

Let's each do our part to share gratitude and kindness today.

Comments