The "It Could Be Worse" Angle

Today I am grateful for twenty minutes of moving meditation and endorphin production on my Nordic Track. I am also grateful for the faith that helps me face fears.

I started this post before the sad and disturbing news of explosions near the finish line of the revered Boston Marathon. Deaths, severed limbs, a storied race shattered. My thoughts and prayers go out to the loved ones of the three people who died, and to the many victims, some suffering critical injuries.

As marathoners ourselves, my husband and I watched the news coverage stunned and on the verge of tears. I can't imagine what went through the minds of those who were standing there cheering on runners one second and suffering devastating injuries the next. I can't imagine what went through the minds of runners, exhausted and exhilirated as they neared the finish, who then saw and felt these explosions and the horrible aftermath.

I commend the medical and emergency personnel who were helping victims in a matter of seconds.Their quick actions saved lives and comforted gravely injured people.

Now, this is the part of the post that I wrote before hearing about events in Boston:

"It could be worse" is one of those statements that may or may not sit well with you. Or it may fluctuate depending on the circumstances. I generally try not to overuse it, but it can serve a purpose.And it can lead to gratitude. I prefer the positive angle of "I am grateful I do have ________" rather than the more negative take of "I am grateful I don't have _________."

As the last few weeks of this weather year have unfolded in my part of the country, this "it could be worse" angle has come in handy.

But today we are changed yet again. Full of fear and sorrow and wondering what will happen next.Yes, it could be worse. More people could have died in Boston. More people could have been seriously hurt. There is some solace in that. But not for those who lost a loved one or suffered a serious injury yesterday.

It makes my weather reference seem trivial today. It could be worse. We could have gotten the snow parts of North Dakota just got.

But gratitude will help us pull through and help bring hope back. There will be stories of gratitude coming out of the events in Boston. Let's latch on to those. That's where the hope is.

Comments