Fortified

Today I am grateful for yesterday's glorious sunshine and a good run with Darcy. I am also grateful that I never run out of words and ideas for this blog.
 
"Habitual Gratitude"--the blog and the efforts to practice it--fortify me daily. Here are the various definitions of fortify, according to Merriam-Webster:

a: to strengthen and secure (as a town) by forts and batteries
b: to give physical strength, courage, or endurance to <fortified by a hearty meal>
c: to add mental or moral strength, to encourage <fortified by prayer>
d: to add material to for strengthening or enriching <fortified milk>

Gratitude strengthens my personal structure-heart, soul, and mind. It is a good defense against oppressors like self-pity, anger, and fear.

Gratitude contributes to my physical endurance. It gives me energy rather than zapping it. I don't have an endless supply of energy but I apply what I get more productively and positively, in both thoughts and actions.

Gratitude encourages me and strengthens my mental state. It does so by reminding me of the bigger scheme of life. I am just a part of that scheme; but so are the people, places, and things I love.

Gratitude enriches my life by adding the materials of resilience; giving me optimism and fortitude to face challenging times.

How does gratitude fortify you?

 
 

Comments