Open-mindedness

Today I am grateful for early morning quiet and the playful quirks of our dog Oliver.

Open-mindedness is the word I have chosen for today. It is a challenging word for me. It is a word I aspire to but often don't live up to as well as I would like.

Open-mindedness means being receptive to arguments or ideas. I too often, especially with people like those I live with, tend to think that my way is the best way. I close my mind to other ideas because "why bother?" Mine's the best. Granted, we aren't talking about earth-shattering things most of the time-laundry, doing the dishes, cleaning the house, etc. But I definitely have work to do in this area.

In my teens and early twenties, which also coincides with the years I drank alcohol to excess, I was very closed-minded in ways. I thought my life was tough, unfair, and that I was pretty much a loser who would amount to nothing. I stayed stuck there, added alcohol, and ended up with an excess of self-pity and false pride.

I needed to open my mind enough to consider recovery and to seek help from others. I cannot conquer my addiction on my own. I don't know anyone who can. So my mind has opened to new ideas. I am a slow learner, but I am moving in the right direction.

Here is where gratitude comes in. Practicing gratitude has many benefits, one of which is open-mindedness. I hadn't really thought of it that way until I started writing this post, but it's true. When I practice gratitude, my heart and soul find the good in the world around me, the people I come into contact with, and myself. When my heart and soul open to the beauty of humanity and nature, my mind follows.

Comments