On The Horizon

Today I am grateful for a phone conversation with my friend Sheila and for a walk with my husband Darcy.

I am also grateful for the many beautiful and awe-inspiring sunrises and sunsets I have seen on the horizon over the span of my life. Horizon for my discussion today being given these two definitions: 1) the apparent junction of earth and sky and 2) range of perception or experience.

My traveling hasn't been extensive, but I have seen sunrises and sunsets near mountains and oceans. Still, I have to say that my most memorable views of the natural horizon have come close to home, close to the familiar. That is when I notice the play of light, the sun through the trees as the seasons change, the view out of a certain window. That is when I feel peace and ease surrounded by house, home, family and truly appreciate Mother Nature's spectacle unfolding. I do still hope to see more sunrises and sunsets on more travels though.

Horizon as it encompasses the range of my perception and experience has gotten broader and more beautiful over the course of my life. My emotional and spiritual journeys have found hopeful horizons after bleak and dark times. It is such a gift to have hope, to have horizons to be moving toward. Some days I am moving well and the view is good. Other days, it may be one step forward, two steps back, but I am still moving in the direction of my goals. And still other days, I may not move at all. But I find that if I am at least pointed in the right direction, facing that horizon of endeavor, I am still okay.

What horizon do you hope to broaden in your own life?

Comments