Able-Bodied and Alive

Today I am grateful for an enjoyable movie in "Parental Guidance." I am also grateful that my day yesterday gave me one reminder after another how fortunate I am to be able-bodied, alive, and living life fully.

I started my morning at the Y with my husband. I cranked up the treadmill speed and got the heart rate up. I definitely felt able-bodied and alive. That planted a seed I carried with me through the day.

Mundane events like doing the laundry, washing sheets, and making beds meant several trips up and down the stairs. I was reminded how these are regular jobs for me, and they require physical capabilities. What about those who would love to be able to go up and down stairs and make their own beds but can't because of physical limitations?

Next it was time to help my son clean his room. It was in need of some de-cluttering, dusting, and finding more storage space. Lifting, leaning, getting on my knees to store stuff under the bed, moving shelves and such all kept me in tune to my physical senses.

Gratitude made my perception richer and I found joy in the mundane. The seed of gratitude continued to grow.

Later in the day, Sam and I enjoyed some Wii Sports games and I almost pulled a muscle in my leg while trying to bowl. (Sad, isn't it?)  But I was there, with my healthy son, with my healthy self, and together we enjoyed ourselves. But just below the surface was a deep sense of appreciation for the little things that made my day big. Big in terms of feeling blessed. Deeply blessed.

We awoke this morning to a couple of inches of snow. I truly enjoy shoveling snow, so I started today again feeling able-bodied and alive. I never want to take my physical capabilities for granted. So many have disabilities or limitations they didn't choose. It is so important to me to continue to choose to take care of my physical self.

Comments