Irritable as Indicator

Today I am grateful for stability in my family and for the health that we have.

I can put that stability to the the test when I get irritable.

Irritable-capable of being irritated, easily exasperated or excited.

The potential for irritability exists in each of us. It is part of our humanness. I was prone to being irritable when I was actively drinking. I spent too much time, especially in my mind, wanting to get drunk or recovering from being drunk. I cursed myself as a weak fool. Darn right I was irritable!

Today, I am prone to being irritable particularly when I am tired, but also when fear takes over and everything becomes important and everything becomes a threat to the precarious balance my controlling mind has contrived. It is the tired irritable that makes me unpleasant to be around and often harsh of tongue.

I guess one way to look at it is that my level of irritability can be my inner compass. Am I tired and needing to keep my mouth shut and get some rest? Is there a valid danger or fear present that needs to be addressed? Is my irritability telling me to exit a situation? So irritable is not always bad. It can be an indicator and a guide.

"Getting in touch with one's feelings" is a phrase that has probably been overused and lost meaning, but it really is important to peel away the layers and understand why I may be feeling frustrated, depressed, angry, or irritable. Simply masking or hiding the feelings doesn't make them go away.

That is where gratitude comes in handy yet again. I often say the more grateful I am the less self-pity I have. And the less self-pity, the fewer other negative emotions. Practicing gratitude helps keep the layers peeled back and helps keep the more positive emotions closer to the surface. That is a gift.

Today, if I feel irritable, I will look to the cause. 

Comments