The Stuff of Life and Death

Today I am grateful for peach preserves on toast, for our dog Oliver's recent haircut, for the opportunity of a new perspective at work by moving offices. 

The stuff of life includes death. Today, I grieve the death of my aunt Norma Jean.

The stuff of life. Picking up peach preserves at the store because they sounded good and I hadn't had that kind in awhile. How much fresher and younger Oliver looks after a trip to the groomer. Moving from the office I have had at work for 15 years or so, to one literally just a few feet away, but appreciating the motivation to downsize, and the freshness it will bring to the next school year. 

After spending hours over recent weeks going through old files and other resources, shredding and recycling some, and taking a few trips from my old office to my new one, I officially took the last of my stuff to my new locale yesterday. My new space needs some organizing, and I will be putting some finishing touches on decor over the summer, but the bulk of the move is done. I closed one door and opened another. The stuff of life. 

The stuff of death. I am deeply grateful for the life and legacy of Aunt Norma Jean and for the conversations we have had in recent years. Sr. Norma Jean, OSF, passed away yesterday after suffering a heart attack. She was 87. She was the last of my dad's siblings, following the death of my Aunt Jenny in the fall of 2017. Norma Jean and I spoke about that at Jenny's funeral. 

I think about my siblings and I. We have now lost our first, my sister Mary Jo two years ago. She was the first of Norma Jean's thirty-six (if I counted right) nieces and nephews to die.  Norma Jean has been grieving the loss of siblings for nearly forty years. I take comfort in knowing in my heart that a long-awaited reunion took place yesterday. I cried at the news of her passing, and later smiled at the thought of this reunion. 

Rest in peace Norma Jean. That's all I have to say about that . . . for now. 



Comments