The Continuation of An Era

Today I am grateful for the cardinal that joined me for a few strides of my run earlier today. I also so appreciate all the students, faculty and staff, and parents in the school community in which I work. We were able to have a really meaningful year, however odd and grueling it was at times. 

When grieving, it helps me to keep writing and keep doing what feeds my body and soul. Running is key to that nourishment. 

Here's the writing that came out as I considered my last marathon:

Miles of Grief 

Each stride 
laden with grief,
the fresh kind . . . 
sister died of 
the same disease 
that laid me flat.

And the stale kind, 
long buried and 
unrecognizable . . . 
decades of gut level 
unworthiness, 
emotionally stunted.

The last miles
of my final marathon 
were as painful to 
my soul
as to my body. 

And as liberating.  

LV June 5-7, 2021

And here are my feet in my freshest pair of running shoes, my reliable Brooks Ariel, size 11, model 20: 

The era of marathons may be over for me, but the era of running is not. Bring on the endorphins, connections with nature and self, clarity of thought, and JOY. 

I will be taking a blog break for the next week or so. Have a good day and week! 

Comments