Slippery

Living gratefully today, I appreciate the former co-workers I enjoyed seeing and visiting with last evening at another co-worker's retirement party. Yes, the years have gone by quickly, but also with much meaning. 

In my last post, I referenced the slippery thoughts that can get alcoholics in trouble. We use the term slip to refer to a relapse, a return to our drug of choice. Recovering people, the ones I hang out with anyway, have some catchy lines to help keep us on track: 

*If you don’t want to slip, don’t go where it’s slippery. 

*SLIP Sobriety Lost It’s Priority 

*Don’t ever forget your last drunk. 

*The further you are from your last drink, the closer you are to your next one. 

We have a daily disease, and a patient one. I appreciate these one-liners. In fact, if I find them irritating or a little too catchy, I have probably wandered onto the slippery slope of stinking thinking. 

Most of the time I am safer in bars and liquor stores than I am in my own head, but I frequent the former far less often than the latter. Regular meditation practice in recent weeks has been very beneficial to my mind and I. Clarity of thought is far better than the clutter of thoughts that can send me spinning and reacting. 

I will follow my own suggestions today and keep recovery a priority. One day at a time. One hour at a time. 



Comments